It should involve putting in place appropriate Lockout / Tagout procedures. This will include Locking Off Procedures, Tagout protocol and Permits to Work and finally Reactivation Procedures.
The locking off procedure should only be performed by trained and authorised personnel and it should be carried out in the following order:
1. Prepare for shutdown. This will include:
2. Inform all affected employees and let them know who is locking off the equipment and why they are doing it.
3. Turn off the equipment following agreed procedures.
4. Isolate all energy sources in the equipment and ensure all stored energy has been removed from the equipment. This can include:
5. Lock off energy device controls such as switches, valves and circuit breakers using an appropriate lockout device and secure with safety padlock
6. Tagout the lockout device using an appropriate tag
7. Test the energy device controls to ensure equipment has been locked out.
8. Place key of safety padlock in Group Lockout Box and secure Group Lockout Box with their own personal padlock.
9. Each person working on the equipment should put their own personal padlock on the Group Lockout Box prior to commencing maintenance work.
10. Perform maintenance and do not bypass the lockout. The maintenance work should be done in conjunction with and as set out in a ‘Permits to Work’ document.
11. On completion of maintenance work, follow the agreed procedures to reactivate the equipment.
We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website.
You can adjust all of your cookie settings by navigating the tabs on the left hand side.
Strictly Necessary Cookie should be enabled at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings.
If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. This means that every time you visit this website you will need to enable or disable cookies again.
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.
Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences!